Romantic Suspense Author Chris Redding Dishes About Writing


As a student at Penn State, Chris Redding focused on obtaining her degree in journalism after an early childhood experience created the desire to become an author. But it wasn't until years later that the idea of writing romance fiction entered Chris's life when Chris began reading mystery and romance. After the birth of her second child, Chris actively embarked on her journey to learn more about the craft and business of writing.

In 2004, Wings Press published her first romantic suspense book titled The Drinking Game. In 2007, Enspiren Press published her next book Corpse Whisperer, a paranormal romantic suspense book. Chris is with me today to share some insights into her writing life and her latest release, INCENDIARY, a romantic suspense from Sinful Moments Press, a division of Lachesis Books.

At what age did you realize that you wanted to be a writer?

Ten. I read a story about an old lady and cats in front of class. I had received an "A" on the story. When I finished reading, I looked up and I had everyone's attention. That was so cool.

You've written a number of romantic suspense novels. What made you decide to write in this genre?

Incendiary is romantic suspense because I keep trying to write romance and someone dies or something mysterious happens. It really is my favorite genre.

Tell us a little something about the novel/novella?

In Incendiary, a firefighter and a paramedic must find the serial arsonist in their town before they go up in flames. The fun part is the hero and the heroine have a history that keeps getting in their way.

What is your writing schedule like?

I write in the morning before work. If I'm revising, I can do it in the afternoon or evening, but to write it must be in the morning.

Do you have any rituals that you do before starting to write?

I have to have the title and the hero's conflict and the heroine's conflict before I can write.

Are you a plotter who lays out everything in detail as you write or a pantser who lets the story unfold on its own?

I am a pantser. If I outline, I have NO desire to write the story. I love to see how it comes out as the words appear on the page. It's like magic.

What are you working on now and what will readers have to look forward to in the future?

Right now I am working on some writing workshops. Come January I need to finish a book before a conference. It is an Arthurian type story set in a mythical island in the Mediterranean. The hero is a nerd and I LOVE to write about them.